Ankle cracked, swollen and bruised, using ice. When will the swelling go down?

So I was walking a dog downhill on a rocky path and i stepped wrong. My ankle cracked and I tumbled a little bit down the hill. I was immobilized from the pain for a short while, but I managed to limp home. Now it has swollen and bruised a little but i can limp around with very little pain. It usually doesn t hurt as long as there is ice and i m not moving it a certain way. It is also very tender to the touch. I have been using ice and elevating it. When will the swelling go down? What was the crack?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Based on the description and your symptoms, I suspect that you could have suffered an Ankle sprain resulting in soft tissue hematoma.

The crack you felt could be due to an avulsion injury of a ligament from the attached bone.

An Xray of the injured area will rule out any fracture. If the Xrays are negative , you need an MRI scan to know the status of the ligaments in the ankle joint.

The initial management of your condition is as follows -

• Protection – protect the injured area from further injury, by using a support or, in the case of an ankle injury, wearing shoes that enclose and support your feet, such as lace-ups.
• Rest – stop the activity that caused the injury, and rest the injured joint or muscle. Avoid activity for the first 48 to 72 hours after injuring yourself.
• Ice – for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury, apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day.
• Compression – compress or bandage the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. You can use a crepe bandage . It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow. Remove the bandage before you go to sleep.
• Elevation – keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day