After Nose operation he lost taste and smelling sense completely, please help

Hi doctor , my husband got an extra flesh in his nose. They said it is a nose tumour and we were informed that it is grown till his forehead. so we have done an operation. after the operation he lost taste and smelling sense completely. Is there a way to get it back.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Jan 2011
ENT Specialist 's  Response

What was the pre-operative and the post-operative diagnosis made? What was the surgical procedure performed? There are various tumours in the nose and surgery differs for each variety. It is indeed difficult to say whether your husband will recover from this or not until you can furnish answers to the above questions.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
General & Family Physician Dr. Joey's  Response
How many days since the operation? It could be temporary if it's only been few days since the operation because of local swelling and tissue injury around the nerves. If it doesn't come back in like 2 or 3 weeks, it can be because of nerve damage. But please consult with the surgeon who did the operation to have yourself examined and find if the nerve is damaged or not?