Aching sensation on left rib cage. Numbness in left arm, overweight. Anything to panic?

Hi. I am a 36 year old male. I am six foot tall and weigh around 210 pounds. I am about 15 pounds overweight . For the past few weeks I have been having some strange symptoms on and off. I have a strange aching sensation on the left side of my rib cage, in line with my nipple but further to the left. I also get numbness in my left arm every now and then. I have been struggling to fall asleep for the past few weeks as when I dose off I suddenly awaken gasping for air. Is there anything seriously wrong with me or am I just causing myself to panic? Thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012
Hi better u consult a GP and get ECG done