Achilles pain with swelling & redness, hurts while bending. Cure?

FOR THE THE 2 DAYS MY ACHILLES HAS BEEN HURTING. I AM 17 AND TEACH SURFING. IT IS SWOLLEN AND HURTS TO WALK ESPECIALLY WALKING UP AND DOWN STAIRS. I CAN SURF AND IT DOES HURT. IT IS A LITTLE RED BUT I CAN BEND IT COMPLETELY FORWARD AND BACKWARD. IT HURTS SOMETIMES MORE THAN OTHERS AND IT FEELS WIERD WHEN I BEND IT LIKE THERE IS STYROFOAM IN IT BENDING. DO I NEED TO GO TO THE DOCTORS OR WAIT IT OUT? THANKS
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012
Sounds like you have an achilles tendonitis. Rest and ice, anti-inflammatory medication, sometimes splinting in a 3D walking boot can help. Physiotherapy is often of benefit. Symptoms can take a few weeks to settle down.