85 years old, suffering from constipation, followed by diarrhea. Colonoscopy suggested. X-ray, CT required?

I am concerned about my mother who has had constipation followed by diarrhea . This has been occuring for 2 weeks now and her dr has refered her to someone for a colonoscopy . This appt is in August. Too long as far as I am concerned.Why hasnt she been refered for x ray or CT? She is 85. My concern is dehydration and nutirional depletion. It seems to me this should not be something that is left for over a month. Her referal isnt even a gastroenterologist . She is in a private health fund so shouldnt she be seen straight away by someone????
Asked On : Wed, 11 Jul 2012