84 years old, minor foot surgery done, mumbling, mimicking, speaking nonsense. Treatment for poor mental health?

OK, my 84 year old mom was hospitalized yesterday because she began acting not like herself. This occurred 2 days after having minor foot surgery . She began mumbling, then mimicking then speaking clearly but the words made no sense . She said she was watching TV & everything became jumbled, she thought she saw my niece and nephew on the TV then told my sister-in-law that things were coming in from both sides. Anyway, I spoke with her this morning by phone and she completely believes that my brother & family and the doctor s and nurses are in some kind of a conspiracy to put her into the hospital and to keep her there. What can this be?
Asked On : Mon, 9 Apr 2012

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with Healthcaremagic. I will do my best to help you.

As you describe it here, it sounds as though your mother is manifesting symptoms of dementia. If this is arising as a result of a small stroke or TIA then she may improve quite soon. She will probably need a CT scan to assess her situation better. This is one of those situations where you will just have to wait and see how things unfold over the next week or so. I hope it goes well for her.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.