78 yr old diagnosed with moderate ischemic atrophy, encephalitis. Does it mean shrinkage of brain ?

My father is 78 years old frail elderly, lives alone and H/O alcohol misuse and abuse. He had a CT Scan yesterday and he has been diagnosed with moderate ischemic atrophy and he is being referred to the hospital for further tests. Query encephalitis , I think that is sthe medical term. Can you explain what this means and will he be assessed by a psychogeriatrician in the hospital. GP is not recommending asperine for furing of the arteries in the brain because fo h/o alcohol misuse. Does this diagnosis mean shrinkage of the brain and what will the long term diagnosis mean. Help
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013