73 yrs old, diabetic, frequent fever, swollen legs. Got a boil after treatment, removed now. Causes ?

hi I am AAAA and my father is 73 yrs old. he is suffering from Diabetics from past 6 yrs..! from past 1 week he is hospitalized. he as frequent fever & leg started swelling and turned to red color. he was taken to hospital and doctor upon checking put him on treatment. He tied a banded to his leg on the infected area and gave him treatment with antibiotics ..! finally after 3 days.. a boil formed on his leg. he opened it and treated for 2 days.. he was getting fever then doctor removed the infected area and kept in in observation. can u please help me out what exactly was the problem. why this had happend..or what could be the cause for this and how it could be solved.
Asked On : Thu, 6 Dec 2012