7 year old with fractured elbow. Purple discoloration of the hand. Need emergency attention?

my daughter (7) fell and fractured her elbow 3 nights ago. we went to the ER and they put a splint on her, we are waiting to get in to a Ped. Ortho. her appt is tomorrow but, this morning her hand looks a little discolored, little purple color. is this a concern we need to deal with now or can it wait until we see the DR. tomorrow?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
Your duaghter has fractured her elbow (bone not mentioned).Her hand is discolourd and turned pink.This is normal process as with fracture there is lot of bleeding.Accumulation of blood under skin and muscle result in haematoma formation.Haematoma changes different colour during process of resolation.If you can feel her peripheral pulse at wrist joint you can wait till consultation with paediatric orthopedician.If her pulse at wrist is not felt,she needs emergency medical consultation.
Hope this answers your question.
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The purplish color of the hand may be due to decrease in blood supply to the distal portion of the hand after the splint due to a tightened splint because of swelling of hand.

Check for the radial pulse of the hand of child.

And call ER and consult the doctor there as early as possible to assess the blood supply to the hand.

Hope I have answered your query.