62 year old has cough, fever and vomiting that is not subsiding. Cause?

Hi, My mother(62 yrs) had cough which started in January and she would just take some strepsil or vicks tabs thinking it to be just a cold. It continued for 3 weeks and then we took her to a hospital where the treated for two weeks giving antibiotic and even then the cough didn t subside. In parallel we started giving her steam. She then started vomiting . We then consulted another doctor, who investigated her blood, stool and her chest. All he could find out was that the chest was full of cough/ mucus and he mentioned that the congestion in the chest might be the reason for the vomiting as he didn t not find anything abnormal with the blood and sputum test. During this period, she had lost about 5 Kgs. She almost stopped eating as she would vomit immediately. This process continued for 1.5 weeks and she started developing an imbalance problem. The only issue that could be the reason as suggested by the physician was a neuro problem. We then took her to another hospital and got her admitted there. Her blood was tested again and found that the volume of sodium and potassium has gone dangerously down in her blood and they started her treatment injecting sodium and potassium. She was also injected with Cerazone 1000 plus. Now they say, her sodium and potassium levels have normalized, but frequent fever(which averages 101 degree, temperature) is not subsiding. They would normally provide crocin or paracetamol tablets daily. Could you please suggest, what would be the root cause for all these and whether we should take her to another hospital ?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013