5 year old with chesty cough, cold and pain behind the ear. Concerned about taking too much antibiotics

Hi Doctors,

My 5 year old son, was prescribed with Antibiotics 2.5 weeks ago for a dry cough that turned into a full blown runny nose and chesty cough. He recovered to the point of mild coughing, went back to school, and the cold/cough returned with a hacking chesty cough. The doctor prescibed a 2nd broad range antibiotics this week. He started yesterday. I am concerned it's too much antibiotics in such a short period of time. And yesterday he complained of pain behind his left ear,a couple fo minutes later in his left armpit, then a little while later pain behind his knee. The pains went away. Should I be worried?
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013