5 week breast feeding child passing smelly, dark brownish stools along with wind. Normal?

I have a 5 week old girl. She is breast fed only and occasionally we give her a 4ml dose of a mixture for wind containing Light magnesium , ginger tincture, dill seed oil and peppermint oil. She is passing stools once or twice a day every 3 to 4 days. Her last 2 stools had bits of dark brownish / red mixed in it. These bits are like the size of grains of sand or larger like ground up peppercorns. These stools are very smelly and are accompanied by wind. I spoke to my midwife who said this is normal as the babies digestive system is new. I can t help but worry.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jun 2012