3 year old child, non-moveable bump on mastoid bone, behind right ear. Causes and treatment?

My 3 year old has hard non-moveable bump on her mastoid bone behind her right ear that us a bit smallerthan a centimeter. I don t believe it has always been there. I think I noticed it a couple months ago too, but at that time it was not as large. It doesn t seem to bother her when I touch it. She has not had any symptoms of sickness. What could this be?
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012
Hello. a small bump barely measuring a centimeter which has never caused any symptoms could possibly be a lymph node swelling. It is important to ensure there are no other swellings anywhere in the body like underneath the chin, angle of jaw and neck region. An isolated swelling behind the ear in an otherwise playful healthy child is not an immediate cause of concern. If however it continues to increase in size, become painful or warm to touch, a fine needle introduced into the lump to aspirate the contents can help in diagnosis. It is known as FNAC and at the same time a CBC can be done to rule out infection.