2 year old has a lump on the skull after getting hit on the skull. No pain. Need to go to emergency?

We were in a 3 car accident approximately 2.5 hrs ago. We were hit from behind. My 2 y/o granddaughter now has a lump at the base of her skull . It was not there prior to the accident. She was in a car seat. Both pupils are equal and reactive. She doesn t seem to be in any pain. Do I need to monitor this or take her to the ER?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Hi and thanks for the query,
it s great that she is conscious and does not show any sings of neurologic deficits. Remember there are subjective signs of neurologic importance like nausea, vomitting, photopobia that the child cannot actually express.
Taking her to the emergency for some period of keen observation is a good idea. However, watching out for reactivity, irritability, vomitting and any signs of neurologic deficit like fits or weakness of a body part is advisable.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.