17 month old having decay of tooth, foul smell from the mouth. What are the dental care to be followed?

Hello, Im a single mother. I have a 17 month old son. When I take my son to his check ups, I ve asked about when to start brushing their teeth they toldt. me not to worry about it yet. But now i noticed a change in my son. His teeth are coming in and i realized his mouth was starting to smell. His teeth are looking dirty, gums look purplish and his teeth are beginning to look rotten around edges. What can i do in meantime for the pain while i wait to make appointment to get him seen?
Asked On : Wed, 19 Dec 2012