16 years old, playing sports, pain above knees. Normal symptoms?

I m 16 years old. I play sports a lot. The top of both my knees hurt sometimes when I m not active. When I play sports the pain goes away, but when i start jumping to try and dunk, I feel pain. Is this normal or is it some kind of disease? Is it treatable? Also, some people tell me it s growing pains but i haven t grown much for two years.
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would like to see MRI of the knee joint as it looks to me that it can be chondromalacia patellae. This is softening of knee cartilage and it can happen in young person. It is self limiting disease i mean it will improve with time. For that time you should take following.
1. Dicerin tablet daily After consulting with your doctor.
2.Tablet Brufen daily after consulting with your doctor.
3. static quadriceps exercises.