1 month old having loose motion with fever after coming to India. Is it due to worms ?

my son is having loose motion since he has come to india . he was having fever one month back after that all the problem it bcoz of the the worms ? if so can plz tell me the treatment. my son is one yr one mnth old 3 months back his wt was 11.2 and now his wt is10.0kg. he dosent want to eat anything except breast milk
Asked On : Mon, 19 Nov 2012
Pediatrician, Critical Care 's  Response
Thanks for coming to healthcaremagic for your query.

It is not entirely clear how long has he been having loose motions? Does his poo smell? Have you seen any blood or pus or any whitis/thread-like structure in his poo? How many times does he pass stool in a day?

I can understand and appreciate your anxiety in relation to this.

I would advise:
1. To get his stool tested at laboratory (Stool for microscopy and culture)
2. Hand hygiene is very paramount for your child and all family members (esp after going to toilet)
3. Get him checked over by a Pediatrician
4. He may need treatment for dysentry and worm infestation if after examination, your doctor feels so.
5. I hope he is taking enough breast milk every day and has 6-8 wet nappies a day. If he is interested, liquids like water/buttermilk/yoghurt etc can be tried.

I hope he recovers soon

Dr Tejas Shah
Pediatrician Ahmedabad