what is the the total duration of treatment for a patient on bisphosphonates for osteoporosis?

Question
what is the the total duration of treatment for a patient on bisphosphonates for osteoporosis...previous t scores -2.7 on dexa for L3 vertebra and on risedronate for 2 years,fresh dexa report awaited,adequate calcium supplementation alond with vit D being given
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
At this stage, I think you can continue with the treatment for 1-2 years. After that, if your t score still lies below -2.5, you would benefit greatly from continuing therapy till a total of 3-5 years. However, if your t score ( at the femoral neck) rises and is >-2 , then there is no evidence that you would benefit from continued therapy.
However, this is an area of ongoing research and this may change in the future.
Hope that helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.

Follow-up: what is the the total duration of treatment for a patient on bisphosphonates for osteoporosis? 2 hours later
thanks doctor.
actually the problem is that the femoral neck t scores are ok,its just vertebral osteoporosis (god knows which all bones are involved but dexa checks these two sites only).
is the above advice valid for vertebra also...since you mentioned femoral neck, i thought i shud better clarify.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
It has been shown in large scale trials that bisphosphonate therapy is effective in reducing the risk of vertebral and non vertebral fractures when taken for 3-4 years. Since you have been receiving this for 2 years, I think it would be ok if we continue for another 1-2 years. After that, since your femoral neck t score > -2, treatment can be discontinued.
Hope that helps