what exercise can I do to prevent my cervical spine from continuing to curve into a hunchback?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Exercises detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. To prevent the further increase in the curve of the cervical spine you need to do neck ISOMETRIC EXERCISES: Do not hold your breath as you do these. For each exercise press for 5-6 counts, then relax. - Press your forehead into your palms. Resist any motion. - Press your hand against the side of your head.Resist any motion. - Press both hands against back of your head. Try to pull your head up.Resist any motion. - Press your head against your temple. Try to turn your chin to your shoulder. Resist any motion. You can do these exercises 5 times each twice a day. Correct sitting posture with a support to your back will also help. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: what exercise can I do to prevent my cervical spine from continuing to curve into a hunchback? 14 hours later
Is my understanding correct? I am to sit up or stand up and use my neck muscles to resist pressure from various directions? I.e., using my hands alternately apply pressure to forehead, back of head, side of head and temple and resist this pressure by preventing head motion. Q: Alternating pressure to sides of head resist motion to turn head left or right? Q: Alternating temples, resist motion to lower head to shoulder? Sorry to be dense; I just want to make sure I am exercising the proper muscles as directed. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. You understood correctly. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. You can do the exercises sitting or standing. You have to apply pressure from all the directions with your hands and then resist any motion causing your neck muscles to contract properly. You need to do the exercise on alternating temples front of head and back of head. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards