suffering from fever, throat pain, headache and cold. Blood test showed Widal: 0:1:160-AH:negative. Symptoms of typhoid?

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
I am suffering from fever, severe throat pain, head ache and cold. I have recently undergone a blood test and in that report the Widal results were as follows:

Widal : 0 : 1:160 - AH: negative
H: 1:80 - BH : negative

Can you confirm if there were any symptoms of typhoid?

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Hi !

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Dear XXXXXXX

Looking into your problem you are suffering from fever , bodyache , sore throat and headache , all these symptoms are compatible with diagnosis of typhoid fever . well there can be other symptoms like bowel disturbances like loose motions ,small red spots on body known as XXXXXXX spots but they need not be present .

Your widal test report is positive since O Antigen is 1:160 positive but a single titre cannot be conclusive . we need to repeat it after a week and see if there is any increase in the titre then it becomes consistent with diagnosis of typhoid fever because false poitive widal test is very common and major limitation of this test
Secondly you can get a Typhidot test which is a spot test for diagnosis of typhoid fever.

I see that you have been started on azithromycin which will take care of both typhoid fever and if in case it is just a tonsilitis or pharyngitis it is apt medicine .I will advise you to continue with your prescribed medications which are rightly prescribed to take care of your symptoms.

Get well soon.

Dr Shruti

Follow-up: suffering from fever, throat pain, headache and cold. Blood test showed Widal: 0:1:160-AH:negative. Symptoms of typhoid? 1 hour later
Thanks a lot Shruthi. This is really helpful.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Take good care of your health. You will get well soon.

Thank you.

Dr. Shruti