my son completed 6 month and so started moong daal

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
my son completed 6 month and so started moong daal as first outside meal and he did 4 times potty in a day .it was thin . Is it normal?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry, it's normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

Passing increased stool with altered consistency is common once you introduce the new complementary feed.Gradually the intestine gets adjusted and the stool pattern gets normal.
It is always better to introduce single nutrient ingredient at a time like pulses, cereals and then wheat at an interval of 3-5 days.
Observe if stool frequency is too high or there is any rash; you may need to stop that particular ingredient and switch to some other. You can restart the same on a later date and observe for any abnormal symptoms.
Gradually increase the amount, consistency and frequency of feed. Continue breast feed at least till one year of age as this helps in prevention of undernutrition.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: my son completed 6 month and so started moong daal 4 hours later
He is passing green colour ( tree colour ) stool . Is it fine. He passed four times from the morning .

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry unless the stool is too watery or too frequent

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sorry for delayed reply

Green color stool is most likely due to increased motility of intestine. Due to increased movement the green pigment which is there in stool is not gets converted to yellow one.
You need not to worry unless the stool is too watery or too frequent.
I shall be glad to help further if you need any.

Follow-up: my son completed 6 month and so started moong daal 7 hours later
My son had 8 times watery stool yesterday. As per doctor advice have chnaged the meal from daal to rice. But there is no change in activity of my son . He is playing . Is it fine. Or shall i consult doctor ?

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe for signs of dehydration, keep him hydrated

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Now as you have changed from dal to rice I hope the stool pattern will get better.
Just observe for signs of dehydration like letharginess, irritability or decreased urine output.
No need to worry if everything is fine.
Just give frequent fluids to avoid dehydration. If frequency is more you may need to start ORS.

Follow-up: my son completed 6 month and so started moong daal 1 hour later
Ok . Thx . Just one more question, we give 5-6 spoon of rice only as it is starting. As he is still hungry , i give him my milk . Is that fine ?

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it's ok

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

Just keep giving your feeds and rice water. Watch for general activity and frequency of stools. If the frequency is too high or too watery and even after giving breast feed nd other fluids he demands more, you start giving ORS.
Watch for signs of dehydration and if you notice any, consult your pediatrician immediately.