a dentist prescribed clindamycin hcl because I have had knee

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
a dentist prescribed clindamycin hcl because I have had knee replacement surgery when he did dental work on me, what is it being used for?
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic is used in order to prevent and reduce infection in your blood.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

You should know that use of antibiotic in your case is indicated in order to prevent and reduce infection in your blood.
Furthermore some patients do require antibiotic administration prior to any invasive oral procedure. This is because even a small amount of bacteria introduced into the blood stream may cause catastrophic problems. These patients include, those with prosthetic heart valves, history of infection in the heart or heart valves, and certain patients with implanted prosthetic joints or other body parts like you have etc.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.