Yeast infection after laser hair removal. Took difflucan. Is this normal? Will it last long?

Hi, I have been having laser hair removal of my bikini area. Three weeks after my first session I developed what I believed to be a yeast infection. My ob/gyn prescribed diflucan over the phone and I followed up with her five days later. At the appointment she evaluated some "cuts" which she stated seemed to be from the yeast infection and not STD related. She cultured the area and it came back negative for herpes. I have never had a herpes outbreak before but was concerned that since I could not get in for an appointment immediately the culture could be a false negative. How long after laser hair removal would an outbreak normally occur? My symptoms were resolved within a week of taking the diflucan so it may have been yeast after all. My pap taken at the time of culture was negative for yeast but I had already taken the diflucan a few day prior. Should I be concerned about my next laser treatment? I suppose my main question is how long after hair removal would this occur. I am trying to rule out if I should take an anti-viral prior to treatment. Again, I have no priot history of herpes.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Appearance of minor cuts after a laser hair removal is not suggestive of a herpes infection. Taking diflucan does not cause a false negative result for STDs like herpes if there had been any.
The cuts you had were likely to be due to a fungal infection. If your worry is only about Herpes, the features of Herpes would be slight different. There is pain, redness with lot of itching. It generally presents with group of lesions, multiple in number. It is associated with fever, body pain as constitutional symptoms unlike yours which is just local.

Since your test for herpes was negative and the lesions you had were not suggestive of herpes infection, there is no need to take any anti viral treatment before the next laser treatment.
You can opt for herpes IgG (Immunoglobulin G) and IgM (Immunoglobulin M) blood test before your next session to be very sure.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.