X-ray done. What does the report signify? What treatment is required?

hi my name is XXXXXX... i just x-rays done not long ago and the report said this : Ther is mild disc space narrowing and end plate degeneration at the L5/S1level of my lumbar spine. i was wanting to know what would be the best way to treat it.... 5 yrs ago it was just the L5/S1 disc was slipping to the left
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Thanks for posing your query.

Narrowing of the space along with end plate degeneration is probably a feature of early degenerative change perhaps secondary to old disc slip. A disc which has slipped out of its position gradually undergoes degeneration resulting in similar changes as seen in you.

The report doesn't clearly mention you have an ongoing degeneration. Is there any mention if there are other disc spaces with similar changes or if there are osteophytic growth associated?

We can have a clear idea of what is happening through a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of the lower back (lumbosacral) region. The cause whether this is an ongoing degenerative condition or a disc slip related event can easily be identified by the scan. Discuss with your current doctor and plan for MRI whenever possible.

As a clinician, I do not treat X-ray report. Treatment of this problem would vary depending on your symptoms and the results of MRI scan - whether you have any nerve root compression. We can treat it conservatively with anti-inflammatory pain killers, intrathecal steroid, and physiotherapy or by surgical procedure.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Wish you good health.