Ask a Urologist   »  

Would urinating 40-50 minutes before STD test on NAAT affect the accuracy of results?

Rheumatologist
Question
Would urinating 40 -50 minutes before a std test on NAAT affect the accuracy of results?
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that generally first void urine sample is taken for NAAT test so it is recommended that you give the first void sample for testing NAAT because accuracy and chances of detection are increased . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Would urinating 40-50 minutes before STD test on NAAT affect the accuracy of results? 4 minutes later
Yes I gave a first void urine sample (meaning first part of my urine not midstream) however some labs say wait 1 hour, some say 2 hours some say 45 minuets. I was unsure if 45 minuets would still be accurate?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX sir, This can be their local protocol and lab specific . In my opinion 1 hour will be good enough , rest you follow the lab guidelines to which you are sending the sample . Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Would urinating 40-50 minutes before STD test on NAAT affect the accuracy of results? 2 minutes later
I had already provided the sample which came back negative. the sample was provided 40 -50 minuets since last urination. It was only after taking the test that i discovered you should wait. Im wondering if results are accurate enough? or if I should retest? IE is 10 -15 minuets earlier going to make much of a difference?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, In my opinion it should not make any difference but if you have some symptoms related to STD , you can go for a retest but if you dont have any symptoms I dont think you will require that. Dr. Shruti