Would stroke be avoided if treated earlier? Had brainstem stroke.

I was in accident and emergency, would it make a difference if diagnosis & treatment was done within 3 to 4 hrs as compared to the same between 6 to 8 hrs, would stroke be avoided or of lesser impact if treated earlier. I had brainstem stroke I need your expert opinion in writing I shall pay for written report, please let my wife (XXXXXXX) know at her email address YYYY@YYYY

Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

Regarding the early treatment of Stroke, Thrombolysis is an option for someone who presents within 4.5 hours of Stroke. However for brainstem stroke it can be extended depending on the severity of the stroke. One another option is Intrarterial thrombolysis where the medicine is directly delivered to the site of the clot by a interventional readiologist or a Neurologist after placing the catheter near the clot. It can be done as late as 12 hours after stroke in brain stem stroke.

However the most improtant aspects in thrombolysis of early stroke is right indication and absence of contraindications for delivering the drug. Both clinical and radiological assessment to be done by a Neurologist who is trained in thrombolysis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist