Would like to know if I could have beer while taking metrogyl?

Question
would like to know if I could have a few beers whilst taking metrogyl 400?
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 31 minutes later

Although, the effectivity of the medication metrogyl (metronidazole) is not affected by the consumption of alcohol. The interaction this particular medication has with alcohol leads to a reaction (called a disulfiram-like reaction), in which the body refuses to breakdown and metabolize the alcohol, resulting in symptoms like:
-Nausea
-Severe vomiting
-Increased heart rate
-Flushing
-Shortness of breath

Which is why it is recommend not to take alcohol whilst on this medication, for at least 48 hours after the last dose.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.