Ask a Dentist   »  

Wisdom teeth removal, swollen throat glands, difficulty breathing, ear pain, lower teeth pain. Back to doctor?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I had my wisdom teeth removed 1.5 weeks ago. For the past 2 days, I have been having episodes where I feel my throat glands are swelling up and it is uncomfortable to breathe. I also am having new pain in my ear and lower teeth. Is this something that I should be going back to the doctor for?
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 35 minutes later

After reading your symptoms, I feel that you may have developed a mild infection at the site of extraction.

Ideally, you should go for a post extraction check up to your dentist, as he needs to make sure that your wound is healing properly.
If the symptoms you have mentioned remain, then he may recommend you certain antibiotics to remove the infection along with a painkiller, which will reduce/eliminate the diffuse pain you are feeling in your ear and other teeth.

Sometimes, food gets stuck in extraction site and causes pain. To relieve the discomfort I would recommend you to do the following:

-Warm saline gargles 3-4 times/day, as this will dissolve the food stuck in the area giving relief.
-strong mouthwash twice daily after brushing to keep the site clean
-mild pain killer to alleviate the pain

Hope you feel better soon. If there are any more queries, I will be happy to help.