Ask a Dentist   »  

Wisdom teeth removal, numbness and pain in tongue, disfigured face when talking, watering eye

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I got removed my widom teeth last wednesday.
I still have numbness and pain in my toungue and when I am talking my face is getting shape out.
water is coming out from my right eye.
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later
Thanks for asking your query.

Usually wisdom tooth extraction causes numbness and pain in the area of the extraction/surgical site and the pain subside in a couple of days, whereas as the numbness goes as soon as the effect of the anaesthesia wears off.
Pain may take some time to ease completely until healing occurs.

Sometimes, a nerve gets injured while injecting the local anaesthetic leading to loss of sensation in the tongue of that side, muscles of the injected side get drawn towards the normal side causing pulling of the face to one side(shifting of the face). This may get to normal by a week to ten days and in some cases even take months.

With wisdom tooth removal there should not be any connection to the eye i.e.: tooth extraction ideally does not affect eyes. Perhaps due to the numbness of your tongue and facial muscles, your eye muscles are getting agitated leading to lacrimal fluid seepage from your eyes.

For such cases with nerve injury, Vitamin B12 is prescribed as it helps in regeneration/healing of the injured nerve. I would recommend you to visit either your dentist or an oral surgeon for examination.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Wisdom teeth removal, numbness and pain in tongue, disfigured face when talking, watering eye 9 hours later
Thanks for your reply,
I think, as you said my nerve got injured and I dont have control on my right hand side of the face.
It would be great help if you can suggest any doctor in bangalore.

Thanks and regards, XXXXXXX
Once again thanks for your query.

Any good oral surgeon should be able to help you with your problem. If required you can search for one on XXXXXXX doctors section (like look for dentists/oral surgeons in Bangalore).

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at this link

If you have any more questions, I’ll be happy to help you.