Will the reading of epithelial cells and pus cells in the report have an affect on pregnancy?

May 2013
My query is to a Gynae. Hi I am XXXX and this is regarding my wife's pregnancy consultancy. She is over 6 weeks pregnant now. Our doctor has asked us to conduct a number of tests off which her Urine test was one of them. Now in the reports the value for Epithelial cells is 8-10/HPF and PUS cells is 2-4/HPF. Reports says these should be NIL normally. Can you please help me with this and I a bit concerned if this could affect her pregnancy and how can we handle this issue. I would like to have a detailed suggestion please.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No need to worry Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Epithelial cells line the renal tubules, in the process of regeneration, old cells can fall in urine and can appear in microscopy. Having 8 to 10 epithelial cells in one high power field is not that much significant. Sometimes this may represent contaminated urine. Like epithelial cells from the external genitalia can appear. So, midstream urine is preferable to avoid this. Having 2 to 4 pus cells in high power field can be taken as normal. Reference values differ from lab to lab. If your wife is not having symptoms like painful or burning micturition, increased frequency of urination etc, no need to worry. Intake of around 3 to 4 liters of water per day is preferable. She can continue with her regular antenatal checkups. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.