Will taking iron supplement ease fibrocystic breast? Which form of iron supplement is the best?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
Hi, would like to ask if taking iron supplement will help ease fibrocystic breast?
And also will taking iron supplements help with fibroadenoma?
Which form of iron supplement is best to treat the individual? Thanks
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hello XXXX,

Well I do not think there is any known mechanism in which iron supplements can help in both conditions. Depending on the size of the cyst or fibroadenoma, a surgical excision could be done or if there is a pain that is not possible to withstand. Normally when the size of both tumors increase, there will be a pain, so most surgeons choose to remove them. Women who have no symptoms or only mild symptoms do not need treatment.
Your health care provider may recommend the following self-care measures:
- Take over-the-counter medicine such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- Apply heat or ice on the breast
- Wear a well-fitting or sports bra

Some women believe that eating less fat, caffeine, or chocolate helps with their symptoms. But there is no good evidence that these measures help.

Vitamin E, thiamine, magnesium, and evening primrose oil are not harmful in most cases. But studies have not shown these to be helpful. Before taking any medicine or supplement, talk with your health care provider.
With medical treatment in place, you can hope that the breast lump may shrink on its own.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Will taking iron supplement ease fibrocystic breast? Which form of iron supplement is the best? 6 hours later
Thanks for the prompt response. I have went to see a GP and she said that i have a fibrocystic breast and its more obvious on my left. However she said its normal, may i know are there anything i can do to minimize the tenderness of my left breast? What are the effective ways to solve it? Will taking iron pill worsen the condition? Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 12 minutes later

Thanks for updating,

Well as I mentioned earlier, women who have no symptoms or only mild symptoms do not need treatment.
Your may apply the following self-care measures:
- Apply heat or ice on the breast
- Wear a well-fitting or sports bra

I do not think think iron pill will worsen the situation. Hormone supplement could help (but that will have to be prescribed by your doctor). Surgical excision is the definitive treatment. Also seek your gynobs opinion on this.

Hope this answers your questions.
Dr. Nsah