Will pseudomonas aeruginosa in my child's ear have an impact on hearing capabiltiy?

ENT Specialist
My 7 year old child has been diagnosed as having pseudomonas aeruginosa in his ear. He has a nasty ear infection that has caused him incredible pain (requiring the use of paracetamol, ibuprofen and codene) and a constant heavy yellow discharge from the ear (he does have grommets). We have been at the emergency department twice in the last week and we have an ENT appointment in 4 days. Both doctors we have seen have told us that they have not seen this bacteria in a healthy child before and that it normally only affects immunio compromised people or people in healthcare settings. My question is, how would have my child contracted this and is this something we should be worried about. My son does have a long history of ear infections, is this a contribitory factor? Is there any chance of this spreading to other parts of his body and could this bacteria cause any ling term damage to his hearing. Thanks for taking the time to read ;)
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Long history of ear infection is the contributory Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. It suggests that your child is suffering from the chronic suppurative otitis media in active stage. For your kind information, it is not necessary that pseudomonas aerugenosa infection is present only in the immuno-compromised patient, it may also present in the long term ear infected patients. As such bacteria is not responsible for the hearing loss but long term ear infection by eroding the adjacent bone, tympanic membrane, middle ear bones and inner ear or cholesteatoma may cause the hearing loss. If I were to be your child`s treating doctor then I would advised 1. Antipseudomonal drug combination therapy (such as a beta-lactam antibiotic with an aminoglycoside) i.e. both systemic and local. 2. Systemic and Local nasal decongestant. 3. Painkillers. 4. Avoid water, oil and ear bud in the ear. 5. Avoid cold water, ice cream if he/she has. 6. Hot fomentation around the ear five times a day. 7. Steam Inhalation three times a day. Please consult the ENT specialist for better diagnosis and management If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.
Follow-up: Will pseudomonas aeruginosa in my child's ear have an impact on hearing capabiltiy? 7 minutes later
Could you please answer my other questions. 1. How would have my child contracted pseudomonas aeruginosa 2. Is there any chance of this spreading from the ear to other parts of the body.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Contraction from environment Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your follow up query. Most probably your child contracted this infection from environment because previously discharging ear or eroded external auditory canal for long time, is the best way to spread it. It may spread only to adjacent part of the ear if it is not treated properly but in rare cases, if other part of the body is cut or eroded skin, then it may spread to that part. Wish you good health