Will prednisone help in curing bruising in my ribs?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I fell on my chest while snowboarding five days ago and bruised my ribs. I know prednisone will make it feel better temporarily, but will prednisone slow the healing process? Anything I can do besides get enough sleep to speed the healing process? I'm going to Chile for whitewater kayaking in 2 weeks, so I would like to do whatever I can to promote and speed healing and recovery before then.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rest is mandatory ! Detailed Answer: Hi. Bruised ribs should be diagnosed by confirming or ruling out fractures by radiological examination. Please get this done ASAP. Prednisone for 'A Few" days only- has a great antiinflammatory property and not known to delay the healing process.If there are fractures of the ribs Your Doctor can guide you better for further treatment like a corset or so. You can not and should not go for kayaking as it takes minimum of 3 weeks for any bruises or fractures to heal sufficiently. For speedy recovery rest is the major factor. Body heals the injuries, medicines and other modalities as per the diagnosis are just to assist in the process of healing.