Will one grey hair lead to few more or any damages?

Question
I happened to plug out a white hair from my scalp!
will it be giving me more white hairs or damage?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 39 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

It is not true that pulling out gray hair will cause more to grow. You hair turns gray/white when the pigmentation cells in the follicle surrounding the hair die. When you pluck a hair, a new one will grow in its place and because the pigment cells are no longer producing pigment, this new hair will also be white.

But since there’s only one hair per follicle, surrounding hair won’t turn white until their own follicles' pigment cells die. Hair turn white due to lack of pigmentation and melanin.

Other important causes are malnutrition and a diet deficient in vit B , smoking ,thyroid disease, stress and anxiety, unclean condition, drying it with an electric dryer and use of hair dyes.

If the cause if genetic then very little can be done for the hair that have already turned gray. But if the cause is dietary then taking healthy nutritious diet and some vitamin B supplements may help.

Indulge in relaxation and meditation to avoid any stress and anxiety and avoid smoking if you are doing so. Keep the hair clean by using a mild shampoo and use cold water for rinsing the hair. Hot water should not be used.

However these methods may help in preventing further graying of hair. Hair that have lost pigmentation need to be colored by hair dyes or hair colors.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Will one grey hair lead to few more or any damages? 12 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr.Jasvinder.
thats so satisfactory!

I usually rinse my hair in cold water.but still it makes my hair dry within some hours of wash!
I use dove dandruff care shampoo for washing(thrice a week).
will it be a cause for producing grey/white hairs?
if so prescribe me with any alternates.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Using dandruff shampoo thrice a day does not result in premature graying of hair but it can cause dryness of hair. Try to use a mild shampoo. Other than an improvement in diet and the measures which i have described above, there are not many other treatment options. You should follow these measures for gray hair.