Will meth show in lab results for cosmetic surgery? Will it cause problems in pectoral implants procedure?

Hi Doctor, one of my best buddies got married yesterday. And after wedding reception, we all went to his house to party more and I did smoked some meth (crystal), but not too much... perhaps I was drunk to even remember that I am going to have cosmetic surgery on Tuesday and having the lab tests on Monday at 4pm. Now, I am worried if meth will show in the results of the lab test? And also, having smoked meth (two days before the surgery) will cause any problems for the surgery? I am going to have Pectoral Implants procedure so I don't know if I am causing any mess here...Thank you doctor!
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Ideally, you should be off any addictive substance use at least 8 weeks before any surgery. Smoking meth might cause ill effects during anesthesia and surgery.

The problem is that during the surgery they will give you anesthetics, pain killers, antibiotics, or any other number of drugs deemed necessary for this particular surgery. Drug interactions are commonly seen and cause unexpected complications.

I would advise you to talk to your doctor about smoking meth before surgery as meth has been proven to cause side effects including but not limited to anorexia, hyperactivity, getting high as hell, dilated pupils, flushing, restlessness, dry mouth, headache, tachycardia, bradycardia, tachypnea, hypertension, hypotension, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, diarrhea, constipation, blurred vision, dizziness, twitching, insomnia, numbness, palpitations, arrhythmias, tremors, dry and/or itchy skin, acne, pallor, and with chronic and/or high doses, convulsions, heart attack, stroke, and death. All these can cause difficulty in putting you under anesthesia.

Moreover the lab tests can detect some meth in your samples on Monday if you are a chronic smoker.

It is best to discuss this with your surgeon so that he is well prepared for any untoward happening.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Will meth show in lab results for cosmetic surgery? Will it cause problems in pectoral implants procedure? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. Tayal! No, I am not a chronic smoker. That was just a third time I did with my friends whenever we had a special event. The last time I smoked was at least a month ago. This time, I only inhaled (smoked) a few times then went to bed. Perhaps, I was so exhausted (from drinking a liitle bit too much); therefore I smoked just a few times to ensure everyone happy especially the newly wed couple. As I recalled I did not smoke as much as a cigaret if compared. But anyway, having smoked Meth even though just a few times, I know it's not a smart thing to do. But what I am afraid is that Meth will show in the results of all the lab tests rquired for cosmetic surgery. More importantly as I wonder if Meth causes any complications for the surgery especially the outcome in terms of the appearance won't be affected. Again, thank you very much for your valuable information, Dr. Tayal!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

If you smoke only occasionally and you smoked in only a mild amount then it is not likely to show in the blood tests done 48 hours later.

The main problem it causes is during the anaesthesia. It does not affect the surgery per se or the final appearance. Higher doses of anaesthetics may be needed to attain the desired level of anaesthesia.

Hope my answer is helpful.