Will long term use of betamethasone cream cause low white blood cells?

Could the long term use of betamethasone cream cause a decrease in white blood cells?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Guru 31 minutes later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Steroids can cause INCREASE in polymorphonuclear leukocytes (kind of white blood cells) but DECREASE in lymphocytes (some other kind white blood cells) and also cells like eosinophils, monocytes, and basophils.

However, betamethasone being a low potent steroid and also when used topically, will NOT USUALLY have systemic effects like decreased white blood cells. But may be possible. Anyhow there can be lot of other reasons that can cause decreased white blood cells.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
Wish you good health.