Will first degree burn leave a scar?
User rating for this question
My daughter was burned with a flat iron 5 days ago. Her doctor said the burn is a first degree and there'll be no scarring. After doing my own research I find it hard to believe the burn is a first degree and not a second degree. Is it really a first degree and will there be any scarring? I've been keeping it clean, applying the prescribed cream and covering the burn with gauze.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will try to help you with your question... Detailed Answer: Burn depth has traditionally been classified as first, second, third, or fourth degree, but in the US it has largely been replaced by a slightly different classification system. 1. Superficial (1st degree) 2. Partial-thickness (2nd degree) Here are more details on these two: Superficial: Superficial involve only the outer layer of skin. They do not blister but are painful, dry, red, and blanch with pressure (meaning that when you press on the burn it turns white, but then blood flows back in to the original color). Over 1-3 days the pain and redness subsides, and by days 4-5 the outer lay may peal away revealing a healed layer underneath. These are generally healed in six days without scarring. (Sunburns fall under this category) Partial-thickness These burns are different in that they form blisters within 24 hours. They are painful, red, blanch with pressure, but might also "weep" fluid from the surface. These burns heal in 7 to 21 days; scarring is unusual, although pigment changes may occur. So, I think that your daughters burn falls somewhere in between a first and second degree burn. Scarring is unlikely but there might be some change in the color or pigment of the skin. I hope that this helps and good luck and be careful.
People also viewed
- Child stomach hurts in the middle
- Child says head and stomach hurts
- What does 121113mm luteum cyst mean
- Do friction burns leave scars when gone
- Will first degree burn leave a scar
- Does a garlic burn on face leave a scar?
- Why is it back after several lancings and surgery
- What medication is needed to control bp post heart surgery
- Child frequent urination and stomach pain
- Pimples burning sensation used garlic will it leave scars
- Child with stomach pain for three days
- Child falls on stomach
- Best effective dosage of 50 mg atenalol
- Do friction burns leave scars
- Suggest treatment for frequent urination with mild tingling