Will a doctor refuse to put in a new pacemaker because of an enlarged heart condition?

I just found out that my dad has an enlarged heart condition and his pacemaker only has a year left on it and then the battery will be dead. I was also told that nothing can be done for an enlarged heart condition. Is that true? Will a doctor refuse to put in a new pacemaker because of an enlarged heart condition?
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: No worries, book an early appointment with your Dr Detailed Answer: Hi and kind regards. I think it isnt true and its too early for you to bother much. There are many conditions like could cause some one's heart to grow big or enlarged. A proper clinical evaluation by your cardiologist is often generally required. Depending on the cause of the heart enlargement, many things can be done to get a decrease in size through drugs or at times surgery. A proper clinical reevaluation shall be needed, preferable a couple of months in order to prepare for a new pacemaker placement. You do not need to worry for an enlarged heart is not an absolute contraindication for pacemaker placement. After a control cardiac ultrasound and ECK, appropriate treatment options and consultations with a cardiac anesthesiologists shall be done to determine fitness and take appropriate measures for pacemaker placement. This might require some specific drugs in advance, based on clinical findings of your cardiologist, to make the patient fit to support surgery. It is very important to book a consultation with a cardiologist, specialized in pacemaker placements well ahead of time for appropriate preparation and patient evaluation. It is so far from the truth that an enlarged heart cannot be either treated, nor cannot support placement of new pacemakers. Pacemakers are of different types depending on the specific heart condition the patient is suffering from. Consult a cardiologist early and well ahead of time. thanks and kind regards. Dr Bain.