Will Plan B taken within 72 hours of having sex be effective in avoiding prgnancy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi i'm XXXXXXX i started my period on the 8th then ended my period on the 13th of January. I had sex with my bf Thursday the 30th. I didn't use protection and he came in me. I used the plan b on Friday the 31st! I take other medications for my depression, irritability, and sleeping pill to help me sleep. Will plan b be effective still? Also when will i start my period and when should i check if i am or not pregnant?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: It is recommended to take plan b within 72 hours,but it is most effective if taken within 24 hours. There is no some significant interaction between plan b and those pills that you are taking.Also, it will not decrease efficiency of plan b. So I think that you dont have to worry about pregnancy no matter if these were your fertile days. You can expect your next period to be as previous one,but sometimes, emergency contraception can change the length of your monthly menstrual cycle, making your next period come as much as a week earlier or a week later than usual so this should not suprise you. You should have pregancy test if you miss your period so wait for at least 14 days after intercourse. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask.