Ask a Dentist   »  

Why is the tongue ring hurting the teeth?

think my tounge ring is making my teeth hurt
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 36 minutes later

Presence of a tongue ring that can cause dental damage, is common, when the location of the ring is at the tip of the tongue and there is constant damage of the gums due to friction with the ring.

Injury to the gums can cause damage to the dentin of the tooth, as the gums hold the tooth and provide nutrition. In addition , direct friction and damage to the tooth can also result in dental infections and hence pain.

You might consult a dentist who can examine the tooth and the oral cavity, and then rule out any other associated conditions that might be causing your teeth to hurt. He will be helpful in deciding the future course of action as well.

In the mean time, you can take NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) to relieve the inflammation and the pain.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Follow-up: Why is the tongue ring hurting the teeth? 21 minutes later
would it be better if i take it out to see how it goes because i just recently put my tounge ring back in and when i woke up that when i started feeling the pain in my bottom teeth and if it doesn't stop hurting i should go see a dentist?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 32 minutes later

Yes you can remove the ring, for a few days, and see if the symptoms subside.

If it subsides, then you could stop wearing that, to prevent further tooth damage.

If there is no improvement in the condition, inspite of removal of the ring, then a visit to a dentist might be more helpful.

I hope this Helps.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Why is the tongue ring hurting the teeth? 9 hours later
also i have been eating a lot of sugar the last few days because i have been on my period would that also be a cause of the bottom teeth hurting,
thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later

Eating sugars for a few days will not cause any form of dental pain.

But presence of too much of sugars in the mouth, for a long time, can result in growth of bacteria, and hence infection and hence dental damage. But this does not within days but needs weeks or months.

I hope this helps.