Why is my child suffering from persistent cough even after taking Diethyl carbamamazine with high eosinophil count?

Hi Doctor, My child had a blood test last month to determine the cause of her persistent cough, mainly at night. Results showed a high count of eosinophils 1000 and she took a medicine prescribed by the doctor for 21 days. But still now she has this night cough 3 or 4 times. Doctor said it would take time and may be required to take so e medicines for 3 months non stop if it doesn't improve. We are worried. I understand it's due to some allergic problem but don't know what it is causing this cough. Any suggestions to identify the root cause and address the same. Thanks. The medicine given to her was Diethyl carbamamazine for 21 days. She felt better when she was taking the medication. Doctor tested post medication time and said it would get better on its own and if it gets worse we would have to try another one for 3 months.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 2 hours later
Brief Answer: go for repeat AEC, PEFR, stool examination Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. In your case doctor suspected this high eosinophil count due to tropical pulmonary eosinophilia for which he gave the treatment (Diethyl carbamazine) for a course of 21 days. So you must go for a repeat absolute eosinophil count, a chest xray, stool examination to search for alternate worm infestations. If these are normal then aspergillus specific IgM and IgG can be done to rule out allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. One thing you can do is to meausre peak expiratory flow rate by peak flow meter during the episode and when child is asymptomatic to have an idea of asthma... You can have symptomatic relief by inhaled bronchodilator like formoterol and budesonide twice daily at pediatric dose... Best wishes