Why is my child having difficulty in recalling the alphabets?

Hi Doc, I have twin sons and an elder daugher. Sons' age is 6 and Daughter's age is 8. One on my twin sons is bit uncomfortable when i give a test on writing the alphabets or finds it challenging when I ask him to write a word. Other one completes and this makes my second son unconfortable. He is also not comfortable in learning it alone without my other son around. How ever is comfortable in writing numbers and number names. How should I ensure that he learn alphabets and short words too.
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX I think your son maybe having a difficulty in recalling the alphabats or the spellings of the word. It is normal for a six year old to be lacking in one subject while doing well in other subjects. It is also ok to see other kids excelling in the subject while this kid is not catching up. The good part is that he will also learn, maybe in a matter of weeks, if not days. We just need to keep patience. It is also not appropriate to compare the performance of one kid with the other one, but this comparison will show up in the school as well. So nothing much can be done about it. Now coming to your specific question about how to ensure that this kid learns. It is unfair to keep higher levels books in front of him, when he does not even know the alphabets. First we need to start with the alphabets. He will first make some weird strokes on the alphabets, which is ok. Slowly his strokes will start taking shapes. Then these shapes will turn into alphabets. Re-inforcing and repeated practicing will help. While doing this, keep a positive environment around him. One on one sessions will be needed. I will briefly outline some learning skills: - Compensatory teaching: Alter the presentation of content to circumvent the kid's weakness - Remedial teaching: Repeating the activity or the lesson with the kid after the class - New instructional techniques for the subject - Sessions to develop kids interest in other fun activities. This will help increase the attention span of the kid. - Use audio and visual methods like using cd on alphabets or using concrete alphabets that the kid can feel - Peer tutoring: Kids brother and sister can teach him. Encourage this type of interaction. - Listen to kids views about the subject and the alphabets Hope the above methods help. Also make sure that the kid is receiving routine medical care and some basic blood tests are done to rule out conditions that may result in slow development like anemia, etc. All kids learn to read and write. Some learn a little late but they are still normal. Hope it helps. Regards Dr Vaishalee