Why is my child having calcium deposits on both kidneys?

My 5 year old was in the er yesterday and they did a cat scan due to a sledding injury all came back ok except the dr said that they saw calcium deposits on both kidneys?? what does this mean they had no answers just to call his dr?? He is a healthy active little boy is this serious??
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need to do some work up Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for sending in your query. Calcium deposits in the kidney could be due to a condition called as nephrocalcinosis (Does the report mention this?) Sometimes kidney stones can be mistaken for calcium deposits. Whatever the reason, it is not normal to have calcium deposits in the kidney. While this may not necessarily be a serious condition, we definitely need to do further investigations to find out why calcium is being deposited in the kidneys. I would recommend the following tests: 1) Urine r/m 2) Blood tests:CBC, urea, creatinine, calcium, phosphorus. Once we have these results, we would be in a better position to determine as to what might be the cause and what can be done further. I would advise you to see a pediatrician or if possible a nephrologist. I hope this was helpful. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. Regards Dr. Bhabhe