Why is my child blowing frothy bubbles while sleeping?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
should I be worried that my three year old blows frothy bubbles while asleep. He is a little congested but does not have a fever and does not complain, but while he sleeps, he foams at the mouth
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal reaction to being congested... Detailed Answer: Hi dear XXXXXXX If your boy is congested, it is normal for him to blow frothy bubbles while asleep as he is secreting/producing more saliva due to congestion. Congestion is a normal sign of common cold and I am glad he is not having any fever or other complain. I'd suggest to keep his nostrils well decongested by using saline or doing aerosol therapy. You can prepare some chamomile tea in a pot and let your son inhale its steam for at least 5 minutes. Keep the room air well moistened to help ease his congestion. At the end, once again, it is normal for your boy to blow frothy bubbles while asleep if he is congested; nothing to be worried about. Take good care of him! Dr.Sonila