Why is it painful when i have intercourse?

I am a 21 year old female who just started having sex this week. the first few times were slightly painful, but not too bad. Today during intercourse it was pretty painful and it bled quite a bit (bright red) afterwards. SHould I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for the query.

Your question is a good one and i will try and provide some information and recommendations regarding what you are experiencing. Eveything you have described is relatively normal.

With the first few times a woman has intercourse, some pain and soreness is not uncommon. It is very important to assure that prior to having sex that you have sufficient lubrication - either natural or artificial in order to decrease the level of friction you might experience.

As for today - it is likely that the vaginal tissue was slightly inflamed from previous intercourse which may have contributed to the bleeding you encountered. Also, depending on how vigorous the intercourse is, a small amount of trauma to the cervix may occur. This is usually more prevalent with XXXXXXX penetration.

I would recommend that you monitor things for the time being and maybe abstain from sex for the next few days. This will allow for sufficient healing to occur and you should then be fine.

Let me reassure you again that this is common and not worrisome. I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my response to be both adequate and helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga