Why is Lovenox given after shoulder surgery?

yes.what is the half life of lovenox. i was given 1 dose 30 mg after shoulder surgery on jan20. should it be out of my system . not sure why it was given to. i am in perfect health
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lovenox indicated after major surgery Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I went through your query and understood your concerns. Lovenox is an anticoagulant used to prevent and treat deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism, after major surgery. As you were operated on shoulder, which needs immobilization for proper healing, more prone for venous stasis and thrombosis. That's why your doctor has prescribed this medication. Hope this information helpful to you, feel free to ask further query. Regards
Follow-up: Why is Lovenox given after shoulder surgery? 52 minutes later
You did not tell me how long this drug stays in your system. 24 -48hrs. ??
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Half life 4.5 hr Detailed Answer: Hi, Elimination, based on anti-factor Xa activity— Half life is 4.5 hours after subcutaneous administration. May be prolonged in the presence of chronic, severe renal failure. Duration of action Up to 24 hours following subcutaneous injection in once a day administration. hope this information helps you. If satisfied with my answer close the query and rate it, Regards