Why does my wife have a painful lump below the knee after her arthroscopic surgery ?

my wife had arthroscopic surgery on knee 3 weeks there is a painful lump [on vein?] on side below the knee. she does not think she bruised it but has gone to pt. opinion?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 minutes later

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your wife. Next polka as you stated in your question. It seems that your wife has completed an arthroscopic surgery. As you know this is a minimally invasive type of surgery work tiny instruments are inserted into the knee joint in order to both visualize as well as intervene in any problems that are seen.

These operations are generally performed without many significant complications. Occasionally there may be some inflammation which occurs inside the knee just after the procedure but this generally does resolve within a couple of weeks.

Regarding the area of swelling which you have identified in your wife's knee this could be a small collection of fluid underneath the skin. This is generally caused by a moderate degree of inflammation. Generally this can be monitored over a period of time and such interventions as heat therapy generally help to some degree.

For your wife I would recommend that you do a couple of things. First of all, as long as she is able to take ibuprofen I would recommend that you give her two tablets of ibuprofen three times daily for the next seven days. I would recommend she take it with a food because ibuprofen can sometimes caused a bit of an upset stomach. In addition I would recommend that you use warm heat therapy to the area in question three or four times per day for at least 15 to 20 min. You could use a warm moist compress or a heating pad for this.

Another small possibility is that this could be a tiny blood vessel or vein which has become inflamed. These are generally hard and somewhat tender when they are touched. For this I would recommend that you start treating her with some ibuprofen. She can take two tablets three times per day for the next seven days. This will generally help some of the inflammation. In addition I would recommend that she use warm compresses at least three or four times per day for 15 to 20 min. These can be warm, moist compresses or something like a heating pad.

If beyond the next seven or eight days she still has symptoms or if what you see is getting any worse she should see her response to be both helpful and adequate. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Why does my wife have a painful lump below the knee after her arthroscopic surgery ? 16 hours later
my wife cannot take ibuprofen,aleve and similar. any thing else?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You could try simple Tylenol.

Thank you again for your question and follow up. I really hope we have been able to provide you with good information and good recommendations regarding what is going on.
I wish you all the best and continued good health in the future and please let us know if we can be of any assistance at any time.

Dr. Galamaga