Why does my son have a hard lump on the top of his head without injury?

hi! my 7 year old son has a fairly large lump on the top of his head. he thinks it has been there about 3-4 weeks. it's about the size of a nickel, although it is more oblong. it is not soft. i don't remember him falling and hitting his head. any thoughts?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

A lump present from 3 to 4 weeks without any history of trauma could mean a cyst .I would want to know some more details on this so that I could help you better.

1.The color of the swelling?
2.Does it hurt when he touches it, does he have pain?Does he have fever?
3.Does it itch?
4.The exact location of the lump on the head.
5.Any other illness he has had in the past or present?
6.Is he on any medication?
7.It would be more helpful if you could mail me the picture of the lump(if possible) to YYYY@YYYY SUBJECT:"ATTN Dr.Vidya" Do not forget to write back here after sending the picture along with your answers to my questions.

On receiving this as a follow up, I shall surely answer your query.