Why does my right side of the head keeps paining?

Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The causes of one-sided headache can be many. A few causes are listed below:

1. Migraine (usually shifts sides, has triggers)
2. Temporal arteritis (very severe pain near the temples)
3. Cluster headache (pain involves the area around eye, head or temple)
4. Tension headache (pain involving head, neck, shoulder, forehead)

Focal headaches can also originate from other parts of head like eyes, ears, sinuses, brain lesions, etc.

It is important to look for a cause. Getting tests done like CT-scan of the head and neck, blood tests, Vision testing, etc can help pin-point the cause.

Till then take adequate pain-relievers, take frequent meals, keep a headache diary to record the timing and frequency of headaches, take fruits and vegetables. Sometimes stress is the cause. We can try relaxation techniques, breathing techniques, meditation, yoga etc to take care of it.

Also if you can tell me the details about your symptoms I will be better able to help you.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Why does my right side of the head keeps paining? 23 minutes later
The pain usually starts from the temple and extends till the back of my head. This is usually in the evenings and one thing to be noted is that i have this only during monsoon and winters. In summers there was no complain about the headache
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Hi again

From the description it seems to be muscular pain or tension headache. Since it happens in winter and monsoons, It also points towards muscular cause. Though the possibility of a cluster headache is also there. Cluster headaches usually happen at the same time every day for several days or weeks and then there are periods of relief.

I think that it is muscular and we need to find a cause for it. Usually it happens due to muscular strain like inappropriate posture, neck injuries, sleep deprivation, mis-aligned tooth, computer strain, prolonged sitting, sinusitis, etc. Treating the cause is a must.

Local infections of the mouth can also cause it. It is important to take measures to increase immunity so as to prevent such infections. The measures can include daily exercise for 20 min a day. Take hygienic and nutritious food fruits and vegetables and clean drinking water.

The mainstay of treatment for muscular headache is pain-relievers like Brufen. Excessive intake can cause gastritis, thus you may take it only if needed.

Dr Vaishalee