Why does my left testicle hurt ?

My left testicle hurts. For years it has felt as though it is ruptured. One section is bulged out and is very sensitive. Most of the time it does not bother me but sometimes I over do exercising and then it hurts. Currently, the pain is significant. Over 10 years ago the Urologist told me the pain was vascular related but he may not have felt the ruptured area. What do you think? I'm 57 years old.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 44 minutes later

It is very difficult for me to come to a definitive diagnosis without examining you.

However, it appears from your description that you don't have ruptured testis. You might be having varicocele of the left testicle. This leads to slight swelling just above the testis, the testis hurts and it usually increases with activity. You can get a colour flow Ultrasound scan of the scrotum to come to a diagnosis.

For varicocele, you need to have scrotal support so that your testis stays elevated. Most of the patients do well with this. However, if the pain persists and is unbearable then the best option for yourself shall be surgery-varicocelectomy.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.